Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers
Since I have been 5 years removed from being a Texan, I have to get my Tex Mex in somehow! One way I make my belly happy is with this Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers recipe from my mother Heather.
What You Will Need:
• 1lb Lean Ground Beef
• 3/4 Cups Chopped Onion
• (2) 10oz Cans Diced Rotel Tomatoes (mild, original, or hot to taste)
• (1) 15oz Can Red Kidney Beans
• 2 Cups Quick cooking Brown Rice
• 6-8 Green or Red Bell Peppers
• 2 Cups Water
• 2 tsp Chili Powder
• 2 Gloves Garlic, Chopped
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
• 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
1. In a deep skillet, brown ground beef with onion and garlic. I use about 1-2 tbs of olive oil to brown with the ground beef.
2. Stir in tomatoes (undrained) and beans (drained and rinsed), and all other ingredients except cheese and peppers.
3. Cover and simmer.
4. Clean peppers. Remove tops and seeds. Place in a casserole dish. Add 1/2 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap.
5. Cook on high in microwave 4-5 minutes, or until just starting to soften. (check often)
7. Top with cheese and continue baking 15 more minutes!
You will have enough ingredients left over to freeze and stuff about 2-3 peppers for a fast dinner another night!
* Really good stuffed into poblano peppers
* Try meat mixture over cornbread or corn chips- really good!
* I can not tell you how cooking is so much easier now that I have Calphalon pans! Definitely worth the price!